Minecraft Forge is a free. It is an open-source modding API and loader which designed to simplify compatibility between community-created game mods in Minecraft: Java Edition. The end-user need to play the version of Minecraft that Forge was downloaded for before it is able to be used. For example, Forge 1.12 will require the 1.12 version of Minecraft in order to run correctly. Forge is able to be used from the Play drop-down in the Minecraft launcher.
Usually, the majority of modern mods use Forge in order to be added to vanilla Minecraft, several mods which support Forge are listed on its website. You have to note that Forge mods only work with Forge. Now, you may want to see if the mod you want supports Forge.
On Windows, the location of mods folder is in the directory minecraft \mods. It is generated after Forge is run at least once. To reach the directory, you have to press Windows key + R and type %appdata%/.minecraft into the search box and hit enter.
On Mac OS, the location of mods folder is in the directory ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft. It is generated after Forge has run at least once. To reach the directory, you have to press Command key + Shift key + G while a Finder window is selected and submit ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft.
On linux, the location of mods folder is in the directory ~/minecraft. It is generated after Forge is run at least once. To reach the directory on Ubuntu, you have to press the Control key + H in the home directory and the minecraft folder should be revealed.
INSTALLING FORGE MODS
In order to install and use Forge mods in the game using Forge, so the software may be downloaded from https://files.minecraftforge.net/. Forge mods will be used on any version of Java Edition 1.1 or above. For note: Forge does not have a user interface itself.
FORGE GAME INSTALLER
- At the first step, you have to go to the Forge Download page.
- Then, you have to find the latest or recommended build for the version of Minecraft. Please, download the one called “Installer”.
- After it has downloaded, you are able to open your downloads folder and double click on the .jar. If you are using Linux, you will have to run the .jar file manually, with a command such as java -jar <installerName>.
- This is going to open a window named “Mod System Installer”. Please keep the “Install Client” box ticked.
- You have to ensure that there are no mods in the mods folder for other versions of Forge, or Forge will not load
- For optional, you are able to select a different install directory. Please click on the “…” button next to the box with the default install directory (.minecraft folder), then choose the folder to install.
- You have to click “Install” and wait for it to finish
- Now, you are able to open the Minecraft launcher and choose the profile “Forge”.