Apparently, you open this page to find out the information about the location of Minecraft folder. To find out that information, you are able to read this article until the end. After that, you will be able to get the information you need.
FINDING THE MINECRAFT MODS FOLDER
Before you are able to install a mod, you need to find your Minecraft folder.
- On Windows
You are able to do Start>Run>%appdata%. Or you are able to type %appdata% into the location field of the Windows Explorer, then open Minecraft.
- On Mac
You are able to click on the desktop. Then, press Command+Shift+G. Please type ~/Library and press enter. Next, you are able to open ‘Application Support’ and finally ‘Minecraft’.
- On Linux
In a terminal window, you are able to type “xdg-open ~/.minecraft”… or if you like working at the commandline, “cd ~/.minecraft”.
Then inside that folder, you are going to see a folder named ‘mods’. In other case, if you do not see one, please ensure that you have installed Minecraft Forge and started Minecraft again once. That is where you are going to put any mods you want to install.
INSTALLING MINECRAFT FORGE
To install Minecraft Forge, you are able to download the latest installer from http://files.minecraftforge.net. For your information, it uses an AdFly link, so you have to learn about how to avoid getting fooled into downloading crapware or a virus. Then, you are able to run it, and let it install. To make you more understand, we are going to explain it more detail here.
- At the first step, you are able to go to the Forge Download page.
- Then, you have to find the latest or recommended build for the version of Minecraft. Usually, the link of download are next to version of Minecraft. Please download the one named “Installer”.
- When it has downloaded, you are able to open your downloads folder and double click on the .jar. Then, you have to choose “open with” and click Java. In other case, if you are using Linux, so you will need to run the .jar file manually, with a command such as java -jar <installerName>.
- This is going to open a window named “Mod System Installer”. Please keep the “Install Client” box ticked.
- You have to ensure that there are no mods in the mods folder for other versions of Forge, or Forge will not load.
- (For Optional) To select a different install directory, you are able to click on the “…” button next to the box with the default install directory (.minecraft folder). After that, choose the folder to install into.
- Then, you have to click “Install” and wait for it to finish.
- The last, you are able to open the Minecraft launcher and select the profile “Forge”. Remember that installed mods are always active.
- Finally, you are able to click Play once to get it to create the mods folder.