Installing Spigot is very simple, as it is a drop-in replacement for your typical CraftBukkit JAR. If you already have CraftBukkit successfully installed, installing Spigot is as simple as replacing your server JAR with the new one.
- Java 8 or above (Windows, OS X, Ubuntu, CentOS,)
- The server jar accumulated by following the BuildTools wiki page. After running BuildTools you will be able to find the Spigot server jar files in the same directory.
- The Spigot server jar file copied to a new directory which dedicated to your server. Not the same folder as BuildTools is in.
- Firstly, you are able to download a plugin of your choice.
- Then, you have to place the .jar and any other files in your plugins directory.
- After that, you have to run the server and wait for it to fully load.
- Please type stop in your Minecraft server console to bring the server to a clean stop.
- Now, you are able to run the server.
- All done. Finally your plugin should be installed and ready to be used.
- You have to make a directory called “update” in your plugins directory.
- Then, you are able to download the plugin that you want to update.
- After that, you have to place only the .JAR file into the update directory.
- Please restart your CraftBukkit server.
- All done. Now, your plugin should have been updated.
After the Spigot.jar has been run the first time, the folders and config files are going to be created. Now, you will need to edit these config files to have the server work properly in your environment. If the server is working incorrectly, ensure that you have port forwarded and you have already followed the steps closely. If you are having problems, you are able to make a help thread in the Spigot forum or come chat with us in IRC. Due to the inefficiency of the Windows and Mac OS X kernels, it is not recommended to host on these platforms for a dedicated server.
In all cases, your Bukkit plugins are going to work on Spigot, unless the creator of your plugins uses certain internal CraftBukkit or Minecraft code. You will be able to check out Resources section or BukkitDev for finding a wide variety of plugins, which range from helping with administration to adding completely new gamemodes. If you cannot find anything there you are able to request a plugin to be made on Spigot’s Services & Recruitment forum or Bukkit’s Plugin Requests Forum. Please make sure to follow the guidelines on how to set up a request. You are able to add your plugins by dropping the JAR file into your plugins folder in your server directory and restarting the server. If it does not work or if you see errors, you are able to ask a help on the Spigot Forum.