Campfire is known as a light emitting block that is usually used to cook food, act as a smoke signal, or act as a light source. This one is able to be crafted, but it is able to be found in a few village houses, acting as a chimney. It is able to only be reclaimed by mining them using a tool with the silk touch enchantment.
In Minecraft, here are some functions of campfires:
- A decorative fireplace, which will not spread to the other blocks.
- A source of light.
- Campfires are able to act as a smoke signal if a hay bale is used, or a marker to the base of a player.
- Cooks up to 4 food items in 30 seconds, including potato, kelp, raw salmon, raw cod, raw mutton, raw chicken, raw rabbit, raw porkchop, and raw beef.
- Placing a campfire under a bee nest or a beehive allows a player to gather honey without angering the bees.
- Campfires are able to deal damage to mobs, even if underwater, with the exceptions of shulkers and guardians.
There are a few kinds of campfires. One of them is called Soul Campfire. This one is distinguished by its blue flame, and it is not as vibrant as the regular one. For your information, the regular one has a light level of 15, while the Soul Campfire only has a light level of 10. The difference is that Soul Campfires have special features that you might find useful, other than just visual aesthetics. The main reason for using them is the power to repel Piglins, which are neutral enemies that were implemented in the 1.16 update. Piglins are able to be bribed if they turn hostile or you are able to simply guard yourself with Soul Campfires.
In order to build a Soul Campfire to survive the cold nights on Minecraft, you will first need to visit the Nether to gather Soul Sand. To do so, you will have to use some items to craft a Nether Portal, such as:
- 14 Obsidian
- 1 flint and Steel
- 1 Fire Charge
Then, jump in the portal and you will be in the Nether. From there, your aim is to go to four block deep layers to locate Soul Sand, which is found below Y=65 in Nether Wastes, as stated on Minecraft Wiki. Aside from that, you will also find Soul Sand naturally in Nether Wart Rooms inside Fortresses. Remember that you cannot find Soul Sand anywhere else but the Nether.
If you want to make a Soul Campfire, you will need the following ingredients:
- 3 Sticks
- 1 Soul Sand
- 3 Logs
Once you have gathered those ingredients, please visit a crafting table and place the items in the correct order: Soul Sand in the center, three logs across the bottom, and one stick on each side of the Soul Sand. From this stage, you are free to use your Soul Campfire whenever you would like, much like regular ones. You are able to place them in or out of the Nether.